8.25.2010

The Final Countdown

It's the final countdown
(epic synthesizer riff)


Unfortunately, this song does not have many words, just a super badass riff. So you can watch and listen for yourself:



As goofy as my reasons may be, this song has a lot of meaning for me. In high school, I was on the Academic Decathlon team (nerd). And if you've ever met smart boys, you know that they are weird, but not always in nerdy ways... they're just weird. For whatever reason, 70s and 80s hair bands were the thing with our boys. It was all about being "metal" and "slaying" (keep in mind, these are upper-middle class white boys in polo shirts and Abercrombie jeans). So, "The Final Countdown" by Europe was naturally our theme song before any competition. It was queued up on someone's iPod to play immediately before a competition, driving to a competition, or anything that had to do with competition, AcaDec related or not (for instance, the not-infrequent steak-eating competitions between the boys). To this day, the song reminds me of Academic Decathlon and the happiest times of my high school years. The Lair, cups and pitchers, what the goodyear, competitive Scrabble, and countless other moments of laughter, joy, and intellect are all invoked when I hit "play" when this song pops up on my iPod. Being around people like myself, who appreciate intelligent humor, literature, subtlety, and a good steak, makes me smile, laugh, and prepares me for battle (intellectually speaking).

It is, truly, the final countdown. As it stands, my MCAT is in 8 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes, and 2 seconds. We are under the double-digit mark. For most people, this would indicate panic time. However, I have taken a more relaxed, zen approach to it. And for those of you wondering who I am and what I've done with Kelly Joy, you're looking at her. I realize that there is absolutely nothing to gain from panicking, depriving myself of sleep, drinking 10 cups of coffee a day, and worry about memorizing every little detail...

A recipe for MCAT disaster.

I have spent this entire damn summer working my ass off to ace this test.

And I'm ready.

Let the countdown continue...

:)

Does this have any relevance to the MCAT? Not really.
Is it the most precious thing I've ever seen? Absolutely.

And on an unrelated but incredibly important note, precisely 2 months until my birthday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment