4.19.2010

I'm Only Sleeping

Please don't spoil my day
I'm miles away
And after all
I'm only sleeping...

Good LORD I'm tired! It's been a busy several days and there seems to be no end in sight. Sleep and I are not on good terms right now. I keep trying to ease the tension, but we just can't see eye to eye. Sleep is getting a little jealous of my relationship with Coffee but it's just a flirtation, reminiscent of Lorelai Gilmore's romantic dalliances with Weston's Bakery:

"This is not coffee. This is a mocha chocolate caramel swirlaccino with extra whipped cream... and if it was physically possible to make love to a hot beverage, this would be the one... it's just a fling. I'll finally spend the night with it, but then when I see it in the morning with the caramel un-swirled and the whipped cream un-whipped, ha! Buh-bye!"


Sleep keeps asking me to just come back to bed, but I'm ignoring it in favor of doing things that I want to (like Picnic Day) or things that I have to (like study). I get it. No one wants to be ignored, neglected, made to feel unimportant. I promise, we will become reacquainted... after midterms.

I'm going to stop addressing nebulous ideas as people now and shift the focus to why I am so damn tired. The short version: because my life is fabulous. Let's start from the top. Picnic Day was an absolute blast! I got up at an unnatural hour for a Saturday to start the day off right with my best friends and some delicious chocolate chip pancakes. We made our way to campus, proclaiming our love of Picnic Day roughly every 3.62 minutes to any and all passersby. We watched the parade, befriended all picnic-goers, took pictures with a giant penguin, ate hot dogs, GOT DINOSAUR HATS (highlight of the day!), saw a guy break a bench, watched wiener dog races, ate more hot dogs, and walked hand in hand and arm in arm declaring Picnic Day the greatest day ever. Successful Saturday :) There was a minor bump in the road, but my friends are fantastic shock absorbers so no harm done.

Sunday. 6am. Alarm. "Expletive!" 8am ER shift. I sleepily made my way to Sacramento for ER fun and yawned my way through four incredibly slow hours. Not many patients, no wacky stories. There was, however, a mighty fine fireman and a couple eye-catching MDs. Back in Davis, despite how exhausted I was, I mustered up the energy to get my work done and enjoy the company of dear friends outside in the warm sun. Life theme: friends make everything better. Everything. So next time something in your life sucks, go find a friend. You may think, "I thought you just said your life was fabulous. Sounds like you had a crappy Sunday." Au contraire. Yes, I was not thrilled about getting up at 6am and I was bummed the ER was so dead, nor did I really want to study, but the fabulousity comes from the little moments with friends. Like Todd asking me if the hot fireman was white (not really relevant, but yes he was). And Jessica and Karen spending over an hour convincing each other that we should go to Cold Stone, only to go about 20 minutes before dinner. And tearing up the coupon book in search of good deals for weird things (I'm getting 10% off my auto maintenance!) It sounds mundane to an outsider, but to me these little memories make the world go 'round.

And now here I am, on the eve of Midterm Season (kickoff tomorrow night at 6:10pm!), writing an entry instead of studying. I have been itching to write for the last few days and life has been too busy. It still is, but now I care less. My midterms this week are about sex and drugs. Literally. My classes are SO badass! I'll study soon... they are kind of intuitive topics. People like sex. Drugs are addictive. Studying just happened right now. I'm good to go.

Nothing earth-shattering so far this week. Every day reminds me that as I go through life, there is nothing more important or profound than friendships and family. I am so blessed to have amazing people in my life. I'm not sure what I did to deserve their friendship and love and unconditional support, but I sure as hell hope I never screw it up. And if I sound like a broken record, good. I want the people in my life to know how much I care about them. They deserve to know. You know who you are. Thank you.

Now, time for Sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment