6.09.2010

When The Sun Goes Down

All day long just takin' it easy
Layin' in the hammock where it's nice and breezy
Sleepin' off the night before
'Cause when the sun goes down we'll be back for more.

Summer :) It's About. Damn. Time.


It has been quite some time since I've posted anything -- sorry about that. Here's what I've been up against: I have some exciting news to share (see below, don't want to spoil the surprise yet!) I was sick as a dog for several days and could barely get out of bed, I went to Lake Shasta for Memorial Day Weekend with my best friends, I owned some finals and papers, and now I'm home enjoying the glory that is summer vacation :) Allow me to catch you up to speed:


First things first: I am incredibly honored to be the recipient of the Bettie Locke Hamilton Founder's Memorial Scholarship from the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation! My mom called me a couple weeks ago when the letter came in the mail and I screamed and burst into tears of joy. This scholarship is incredibly competitive -- 4 women receive the $12,000 award out of over 125 nominees. When I was nominated, I never dreamed in a million years that I would actually receive this honor; it meant the world to me to even be nominated by my chapter. So I would like to say thank you with all of my heart and soul to my wonderful sisters at the Zeta Nu chapter at UC Davis, and the Theta collegians and alumnae who made this award possible. And of course, Miss Bettie Lock Hamilton :)


Bettie Locke Hamilton

Bettie, because you were a trailblazer, Kappa Alpha Theta became the first Greek-letter organization for women in 1870. Two-hundred forty years later, you have afforded me an amazing opportunity, and I can't thank you enough. I plan to study abroad next summer thanks to this wonderful honor! Keep your eyes peeled for more from me about that, but I'm seriously looking into programs in Italy, Spain, and Germany... Stay tuned :)

The following morning, I woke up with the worst sore throat of my life. Just the way I wanted to celebrate my accomplishment :( I took a flashlight to my throat and saw what I thought were the tell-tale signs of Strep throat. Disheartened and in pain, I made my way to urgent care. A rapid strep test proved me wrong. Turns out what I had was viral, which meant three things to me: 1) no medication would make it go away, 2) it was more contagious which means I had to basically isolate myself, and 3) it would be more brutal. Got home, got back into bed, and never looked back... for like 4 days. I pretty much camped out in bed, sleeping for double digit hours, waking up, going back to sleep for the rest of the day. It was a damn good time (not).

I recovered just in time, though, for Houseboats. For those readers unfamiliar with the concept of houseboats, imagine Spring Break in Cabo San Lucas. Then substitute the tropical for the NorCal (you know, think lots of trees and poison oak). Now, add some boats. And about a million amazing memories. Lake Shasta is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen...
On this gorgeous lake underneath the warm summer sun, I spent a fun-filled weekend with my best friends. So many great stories and I have no idea where to even start. Meeting not one but two bachelor party boats, watching people eat it coming down the island, the Cougar Slayer, singing country songs with the bachelor party, Emily getting serenaded to Frank Sinatra, cheering for BDP as he worked his game, the list goes on and on and on. There are a few songs whose meanings to me have been forever changed thanks to Houseboats: I'm On a Boat (naturally), Shots, Carry Out, and (for me and Emily) anything by Kenny Chesney.

Now I'm rambling. Let's see, found the best coffee in the universe in Red Bluff, CA. The Human Bean. If you happen to find yourself in Red Bluff for whatever reason (we won't ask questions), PLEASE go give them your business! Not only were they the nicest people, but they make a mighty fine cup o' joe. Order a "Snickers". Trust me. Your life will never be the same.

The week following Houseboats (last week) is all kind of a distant jittery memory at this point. Exams and papers and finals, oh my! I was drinking Go Girls and lattes like they were water. Mistake #1. I must say, however, this quarter's Week 10/Finals was pretty fun -- well, as fun as finals can be. We were all so delirious that everything became a joke, a party, a laugh and a half. Jessica and I sang Britney and Backstreet, Kirstin and I educated the parlor about the dangers of various STIs (ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the toilet seat covers), and Marina just laughed a lot. Monday morning I took 2 finals, and by Monday afternoon I was on 99 South :) Had to stop for caffeine along the way; detox is hard.


Where the hell was THIS during finals week???

Home. Sweet. Home! What have I done to enjoy my summer vacation so far? Well, I listened to a lot of Kenny Chesney, had a grilled turkey and swiss from my fave -- The Berrock Shop (old habits die hard!), lounged around the pool, worked on my tan, played with my puppy, got fro-yo, watched Glee with the bestie... a productive break so far :) I have 2 more weeks of this until it's back to the grind in the 530: internships (which I love, please don't get me wrong!) and studying for the MCAT...


I don't really know what to make of this, but it is cute and it
popped up under "mcat" on google image search.


Don't they look happy? They took the MCAT!

Fisiks... I understandz itz... NOT.

And on that note, "when the sun sinks down over the water, everything gets hotter when the sun goes down" :) Summertime and the livin' is easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment