5.22.2010

Into the Airwaves

I am slipping into the airwaves
The static's where you'll find me

I have been spending an unnatural amount of time in my car recently. Having two internships in a city 20 miles away makes that happen sometimes. During this quality time with my trusty Toyota, the radio and I have also become better acquainted. As evidenced by the title and theme of my blog, I am a music person. It speaks to me, my life, and my experiences. Having two parents in the business has given me an appreciation for the classic, the off-the-beaten-path, and the outright surreal. Their opinion of modern music, however, is not very favorable. I, on the other hand, love me some pop and hip-hop and downright bad music that would appall my parents. The airwaves have been hosting some pretty good stuff recently. Just like a hostel but for music, good songs come and go, as do some not so good ones, just looking for a warm place to sleep for the night. I want to start with the good stuff, the songs I can't seem to turn off: 

Let's be honest. Deep down, we all want to be hood like Jay-Z. I know I do, sort of. That is why I have made it my goal to learn all the words to this song. I also made Jessica promise that when we are 21 and go to karaoke night, she will rap this song if I do the Lil Wayne part of "Down" by Jay Sean. We shook on it, so it's happening. Anyway, this song makes me want to move to the Big Apple just so every morning can start out like this. The life of Carrie Bradshaw... is there any finer way to live? No. There's something so wildly different about the big city way of life that I want to experience. Maybe not forever, but I'm only young once, right? Like Jay-Z says, you came here for school, graduated to the high life, ball players rap stars addicted to the lime light... Sounds like a good time to me! 

2. Hey Soul Sister by Train
Pat Monahan may have hit his prime stardom in the early 2000s with his band Train, but they have made a phenomenal comeback with this song. Shoot, the song was even in a Samsung TV commercial! There's a distinct style of the dancing-in-your-car dance that one does when this song graces your airwaves. You can always tell when someone is listening to Hey Soul Sister! This song is the most optimistic thing out there right now and you can't help but smile when it's on :)

3. She Won't Be Lonely Long by Clay Walker
Clay Walker may not be a household name in the world of country music, but he has certainly hit it big with this one. It's a song about a woman who is finding her confidence again and that, if Clay Walker had her, he would treat her right. Well that's awfully nice! I recently sent this song to a friend who was having a bit of boy trouble and she absolutely loved it :) I think every girl should hear this song, especially any girl who is going through a rough spot because you are beautiful and you won't be lonely long. Clay Walker will make sure of it!

A few honorable mentions include: "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael, Buble, "Break Your Heart" by Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris, "In My Head" by Jason DeRulo, and "Water" by Brad Paisley (just in time for summer :)

----------

Of course, there are also the head-scratchers. I'm willing to be honest with myself here: there may be some overlap between the "songs during which I never change the station" and "songs that I think are ridiculous"... maybe I actually listen to them, occasionally, maybe:

1. Eenie Meenie by Justin Bieber featuring Sean Kingston
I would first like to point out that Justin Bieber is about 6 years old. Perhaps that's why he is describing the girl in his life as an "eenie meenie miney mo lover". Really??? Eenie meenie miney mo is a sacred childhood game used in the most challenging of circumstances where conventional decision making techniques are not sufficient. It is not to be used by burgeoning child pop stars as some sort of strange songwriting schtick. Also, Sean Kingston, really? You used to have street cred. So did Luda. And then you did songs with the Bieber. How are your hood friends taking that? And Justin: repeating words over and over does not count as songwriting. AND YET the record companies have succeeded: it's a damn catchy song, regardless of how stupid it is... I may know some of the words to it. But it's okay because so does Michele (haha, called you out!)

2. Your Love Is My Drug by Ke$ha
Okay, this is actually without a doubt the worst song I've ever heard. Like I legitimately can't stand this song. But being in a drugs class, I listened to it to determine how valid the lyrics were. Her songwriters may have done their homework because the analogy kind of works. Ke$ha manages to hit on all the classic symptoms of addiction and withdrawal: the paranoia, the physiological effects, the crash and crave... Relative accuracy aside, it may be the dumbest song known to mankind. And it uses the phrase "lovesick crackhead". I think that just shouldn't be allowed.

3. Carry Out by Timbaland featuring Justin Timberlake
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what drive through restaurants have to do with sex, but it is a hilarious song if you really listen carefully. And Justin Timberlake is quite possibly one of the sexiest human beings ever. Some notable lines from this song: "Do you like it well done 'cuz I do it well, I'm well-seasoned if you couldn't tell" and "I'll take two #3s, that's a whole lotta you and a side of me". What??? In high school I worked a couple restaurant jobs and when you are a young blonde high school girl, you sometimes get a little extra attention from the gentlemen of all age groups. But I never received any flirtations quite as scandalous as JT and Timbaland's all out raunch-fest. Although if JT walked into my restaurant, 17-year old me would have had a heart attack and not been conscious for said flirtation. 

Honorable mentions: "I'm Awesome" by Spose (Emily, that's for you:), "BedRock" by Young Money and Lloyd, and "Say Aah" by Trey Songz featuring Fabolous.

Well, that's my analysis of what I think are the best, funniest, and worst songs out there right now. Don't agree with me? Write your own blog! In the meantime, I'm going to go listen to some Justin Bieber. Not really. But maybe if it comes on the radio...

No comments:

Post a Comment