5.16.2010

All The Right Moves

I know we've got it good
But they've got it made
And the grass is getting greener each day

I'm on top of the world, and it's an amazing feeling :)

This week has been absolutely incredible in the most unexpected ways. I don't even know where to start. I'm elated beyond belief to see my parents on Monday! I must be honest and say I'm getting a little homesick; a good dose of love from home will tide me over until after finals, though. This Phi Beta Kappa thing is a huge deal for me and I'm so glad that the people I love most are going to come for it. In addition, I recently learned that I am the recipient of a Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation scholarship! The name of the scholarship and the amount is still a mystery to me and they will mail all that information (checking mailbox frantically). Considering that thousands of Thetas across the country apply for these scholarships, I'm so incredibly honored to be recognized. That was a pleasant email to come home to after a long day of class Friday :)

Less cool to you, but still important for me: I turned in what I consider my life's work (like literally, a paper about my life). What a learning experience. It's always a challenge to write about yourself in a formal way and then give it to someone to evaluate. But never before have I had the opportunity to explore my feelings and beliefs with such depth and such free reign. Blood, sweat, and tears went into that paper (figuratively). Turning in a hard copy of my life was indescribably liberating. All at once, a huge load was lifted off my shoulders and I felt so empowered and in control. After making a truly candid assessment of my life and who I am at the most basic level, I am so profoundly self-aware. It feels pretty awesome to really know who I am, how I feel, and how I got this way.

In addition, I'm starting to get the ball rolling on my new studies with the Cardiology Department. I will be writing an honors thesis next year and presenting my findings at the Undergraduate Research Conference. Okay, so this is all way in advance, a whole year away, but I'm thrilled. For whatever reason, I am oddly passionate about ICDs. Maybe because I've been working with them for the whole school year, maybe because how they work is pretty damn cool. Most likely because my daddy got one a few months ago, so they hit home for me. It is as if me understanding more about them will help my dad understand them and not be scared :) Regardless, I'm looking forward to investigating patient perceptions of their care in comparison to hospital records to see whether in-person or remote appointments result in higher quality care. Global, right? I am incredibly excited to have such a wonderful opportunity :)

And my friends. Yesterday afternoon, I enjoyed perhaps the most stereotypically sorority moment of my life. With our formal just a week away, it was time to go shopping... in everyone else's closets! We joke about it during Recruitment, saying "I love living in the house because I have 32 other closets to shop from!", but it's true. We bartered dresses and searched for the perfect shoes without dropping a single dime, without leaving home. Afterward, we headed to campus to see Birdstrike Theater, a comedy improv student group. Oh my goodness I laughed the whole time and gave my abs a solid workout! I had a heart-to-heart with my little sis this morning. Love that girl with all my heart. She teaches me so much all the time. I feel like sometimes I'm the little sis ;) And Michele, you dance beautifully and you amaze me; all your hard work paid off ten-fold. Can't wait to work the dancefloor with you next weekend!

I have arrived at this place in my life where I'm so ready to start it, start everything. I've wanted to be a doctor since I was 6 years old, so this whole waiting game is getting pretty old. I am so fortunate to have found a passion and a goal that motivates me to reach higher than I thought I possibly could. Never in a million years imagined that I would be so passionate about a little tiny heart device. Never in a million years saw myself drawn to the unpredictability and downright messiness of the Emergency Department. Never say never. I am even more lucky to have people surrounding me pushing me to be the very best version of myself. The motivation and dedication of the people who love me is astounding. Friendship is a selfless yet mutual endeavor. I would do anything and everything to ensure that my friends are happy, healthy, and successful, and I know that they would do the same for me. I have seen it, I have lived it, and I consider myself honored. We've got it good, got it made, and the grass is only getting greener.

I'm on top of the world. Come join me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment