5.10.2010

Rain

Can you hear me
That when it rains and shines
It's just a state of mind
Can you hear me?

What is with this bizarre weather??? A rain storm in the middle of May just seems odd. But today, I was kind of in the mood for the gloomy gray. After an incredibly long, exhausting weekend, I was able to sleep in for the first time in what felt like decades, and the sun did not rip its way through my curtains this morning like it usually does in the spring (much appreciated). No class, no internships, nowhere to be except bed sweet bed. I felt so spoiled sleeping until 10am, drifting quietly in and out of dreams, wishes, and desires. Sometimes the occasional bad dream finds its way into my sleepy subconscious, causing me to wake up on the wrong side of the bed. But on mornings like this, with no destination in mind, I could afford to go back to sleep and wake up on the right side of the bed. Ahhhh the luxury :)

Outside in a completely separate world it is storming, but here I am inside. Warm, dry, comfy, cozy, happy. Today was one of those glorious and much needed "wear sweats all day, don't give a damn about anyone else but me" kind of days :)

Now the sun is starting to come out. Isn't it strange how the sky can go from gray gloom-and-doom to true blue in what seems like no time at all? I find it equally strange that merely by looking at something from a different angle, a different perspective, its meaning is completely changed. Rain and shine is just a state of mind. Sometimes it can be hard to arrive at that perspective alone and it takes a loving outsider to show you. Everything seems like the end of the world when you are standing in the eye of the hurricane, where problems and responsibilities are swirling around you relentlessly. No matter how hard you try, you can't do anything right. This weekend seemed relentless and cruel, but only until my state of mind shifted. A cheery phone call to Mom on Mother's Day (I miss you and I can't wait to come home!), a series of hilarious and heartwarming texts, a little gem of an email, and a fabulous phone call from SoCal, a sunburn that was so worth it, ice cream for dinner... all of that easily trumped a pile of work, running on empty, overlooked details, and the mid-quarter blues. And all I had to do was change my perspective.

So here I am, late Monday afternoon, and what do I have to show for my day? Well, I have a 7-page analysis of the disparities in ICD placement between African American and Caucasian patients in the United States as a result of geographical differences in access to cardiovascular technology, all composed while lounging on my bed like a princess. I also registered for next quarter (what's up, chicken lab?!). I have a wealth of knowledge about the development of sexuality throughout the lifespan and the mechanism of cocaine and amphetamine action in the brain. I didn't have to do anything for anyone, and I had a damn relaxing and comfy day. Just another Manic Monday? Not here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment